Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Blocking Practice

Since I want to one day knit myself a garment I decided that I'd better learn to block. I joined the Dishcloth Knit Along (b/c I am knitting them anyway!) so I thought that dishcloths would be the logical place to start. Different patterns can look pretty wadded up when they are completed.

I knit the Valentine Heart Cloth and made a makeshift 'blocking board' out of a craft project gone awry, a corkboard tile that I covered in some chenille fabric. I layed a paper towel over the fabric so that if any dye wanted to be exchanged in the process it would not get onto the dishcloth or the corkboard (who knows, I might find a use for it one day).


This is not a perfect attempt as I did not even attempt to use a ruler, but you gotta start somewhere. My goal is to get one of those little boards with the lines on it that people use to cut out sewing patterns. Maybe I'd better learn what they are called before I go looking for one, as cardboard board with the lines on it is not exactly the correct terminology. :-)

3 comments:

Stacie said...

Maybe you can find a "checkerboard" fabric to cover the corkboard with, fabric with one with squares of about 1 inch. Then you won't need a ruler. :-)

Stacie said...

ryc: Thank you! I need to get it packed off to that special baby in England.

Anonymous said...

You did a great blocking job, it looks good already! I never blocked my finished knitted garments before, up until last year or so when I started doing it, and the difference is absolutely amazing - things look so much nicer and neater afterwards! Especially with shawls it's really necessary to block to get a perfect end result. But you're certainly getting there, great blocking indeed!