Friday, October 27, 2006

I Think I Might

I have been doing the Secret Pal 9 Swap which so far has been a lot of fun because I get to buy a lot of fun things to give to my pal. At times I actually forget that there is someone out there who is buying fun stuff for me! My secret pal, the one that is buying for me, seems to be very nice and she has asked me lots of questions that have made me stop and think. Especially about the scary and before uncharted topic of socks! I think that I might have given the impression on my blog here that I don't want to knit socks more than I may have meant to.

I will admit that before she asked me about socks I really didn't care much to make them because I don't really wear "decorative" socks all that much. (Yesterday was an example of when I should have as my feet were cold and I had to wear stupid white socks that really didn't look all that cute with my shoes.) But now that I have pondered the question for a while I think that I might actually want to make them. It doesn't hurt that I have found all kinds of fun things with which to make socks.

Exhibit A:
Stretchycirculars.com
Obviously DPNs are intimidating, even though I feel I have become somewhat of a master after my successful baby hat earlier this month. I thought that I would try 2 circulars b/c that is what Ann uses, and if it's good enough for Ann then it is certainly good enough for me. I also looked up the magic loop method which seemed like something that I might want to try. Then I got the Knit Simple magazine and inside was an ad for 10'' size 2 Stretchy Circular needles which they proclaim to be useful in the knitting of socks. I believe that this will be my poison of choice.

Exhibit B:
Sock YarnStacie has informed me that sock yarn does not count as stash, so all the more reason that I should learn to make them. I don't really have a huge stash anyway, but I would be more than happy to have some fun yarns that don't count toward it!

I bought some.

Exhibit C:
Patterns
Really, the patterns for sock knitting are almost endless when you pair them with the wide array of sock yarns out there. I found several yesterday in my brief search that I liked, these, these, these (sort of) and these for Jason. These are also fun, but I am thinking that they might be a little too ambitious for one just starting out.

Exhibit D:
Gifts
I think that many of my very grateful family and friends would be more than happy to get a pair of socks from me for an important gift giving/receiving occassion. Maybe next Christmas everyone will get socks. Who knows. (If this is to be the case, then I think that I shall have to start on the first pair on Dec. 26, 2006 just to get them out in time. I think that we all know that this isn't going to happen.)

I believe that all of these exhibits are just cause for me to learn to knit the elusive sock. I will do it...one day.

On a side note, I have been knitting this week. (Although I knit nary a stitch yesterday! Nor did I crochet.) However, all of what I have been doing is going to be a gift to my secret pal, and really, I can't be posting that on here. Once I am revealed to her, I will be more than happy to slap a few pictures up for your viewing pleasure.

4 comments:

Stacie said...

Socks can be addictive. Esp. planning for sock knitting!

Anonymous said...

I wear a size 7 shoe. Hope that helps you plan for my socks!!!!

Kerry said...

Sock yarn doesn't count towards stash??? Sweet!!! :-)

I can't wait to see how you progress with the socks. Once you wear them you'll never want to put anything else on your feet.

Have fun!!!

Stacie said...

Mary Heather-- Am busy with training and orientation at new job. Hope all is well down there. I'll be posting a pic of a completed sock soon!